Saturday, June 27, 2015

Airport Musings

We're at the airport about two hours before we need to be (one of the Lifetree Adventures staff members is flying out this morning and we needed her truck to transport our luggage). So, we're wandering around the airport, buying snacks and souvenirs, and...blogging! Several of our youth offer their thoughts on the week.



Ainsley:
We had an amazing time in beautiful Puerto Rico. God treated us well, and we opened our hearts to serve those in need. There was one thing that contributited as an obstacle to us and that was the language barrier. Specifically my family that I served spoke no English whatsoever. It was hard at some moments to ask what to paint, where we should work, ask for materials, etc. We found ways to make it work and we ended up creating the strongest bond with each other. This goes to show how strong God's love is and how he reveals himself through the actions of other people. I could truly feel God's presence through the gracious people we served. It's absolutely amazing to think that acts of kindness such as painting a room could put such a big smile on someone's face. This is what I was working for in these houses.... The reaction and the impact. These new experiences that we have fulfilled will impact my actions and thoughts all throughout my life. I will never forget this extraordinary trip of a life time.  


Virginia:

As humans, we often find ourselves striving for the idea of Earthly perfection, when we are already perfect in God's eyes. And even though I KNOW I'm not perfect and really no one is, these people were the closest I've found to it. While we were there they chipped in with painting, cooked us two full Puerto Rican meals, kept there door open to anyone who needed something and overall were just the nicest people I've ever met!

Often on this trip I found myself faced with opportunities that are fight or flight, and when I'm at home I usually pick flight because it just seems the easiest and quickest. But, on this trip I felt I got to take a huge leap of faith and totally left my comfort zone in the dust. Don't get me wrong, I didn't feel pressured to do anything I didn't want to. These wonderful, amazing people (my youth group) helped me to be able to do things I never would've ever thought to do. Ex: trying new foods, and so many other things.

If someone asked me if there was one thing I could change from this week I think I would actually say nothing! I did everything I wanted to do and more than I could ever imagine. As I am going to board this plane I will be sad because I'm leaving Puerto Rico behind, but I will have the memories forever in my heart.


Marshall:
As I look back on our week in Puerto Rico, my favorite moments were exploring the beautiful island. We went on several adventures where we thought we were lost but ended up finding some of the most amazing things I have ever seen. I believe God paved the way for us to see the beauty he has created and helped us strengthen our relationships on these adventures. Throughout the week I didn't branch out to the other groups as much as I wanted, but this caused me to form stronger bonds with the people in our youthgroup. After this week I truly think that I have several new brothers and sisters. 

Tyler:
This week in Puerto Rico, we helped people and families find God and show love.  Throughout this week, I have changed.  I have had the chance to work with a really good group of kids and interact with the local Puerto Rican people. We had some good times and some rough times. A few examples: we were attacked by water fire ants, stung by a pack of jellyfish, we helped change lives, we jumped off cliffs, and saw the rain forest!  Even though Brandi, Alex, and Mrs. Ginns can't drive and got us lost many times, we all had fun and this week was a great time for all of us.  

Our city worker, Isaac, was very funny and a hard worker.  He shared his life story about how his son coming into his life changed his life.  When he left we were all very sad . One of the places we worked was at a home that was very old and in need of help.  The lady who owned the house was named Evelyn; she was so full of energy and loved that we were there.  She had a nephew named Erwin.  He had blue eyes and didn't talk that much at first but as time passed we found out there was no father in his life.  He had nobody to guide him through his life .  He really connected with me, CJ, and Marshall because we really got to know him. He had a dog named Lacky which was an amazing dog in my mind.  It was brown with black spots. It was an amazing thing that we got to know this family and be on this trip. We had an awesome experience this past week!

No comments:

Post a Comment